Cell Phone Battery Meters

Posted by Dan and Christie Ponjican | 1:54 PM | | 0 comments »

I was talking on my cell phone the other night, when my battery died. I plugged my phone in for about 10 minutes, certainly not long enough for all of the "bars" to reappear... I unplugged it, however, and began using it again as if my battery were completely recharged, only to watch it die again within minutes of my next call.

You may have noticed that your mobile phone seems to spend an awful lot of time with its battery gauge saying it's full, or at least almost full. Once you get to the half-full mark, the battery seems to die very quickly.

This phenomenon isn't as obvious with today's low-power-consumption phones, but it is still pretty hard to find a phone that doesn't do it.

Some say, it's a marketing scam... Here's why that's true: Battery meters are controlled by software, and software is controlled by human beings.

Everyone knows that a battery that stays full for a long time makes a phone look good. When your phone appears to have a good bit of battery life left, you're more likely to use it. People who think their phone is about to die will make fewer or shorter calls and that is no good for the phone company.

This is one more illustration of the curse of a good marketing agent. Both phone makers and cellular service providers want you to think that your phone is still pretty much full of charge even if it's almost half empty. (DansData.com)

0 comments